100-Year-Old Negatives Discovered In Block Of Ice In Antarctica
For the past 100 years, a box of never-before-seen negatives has been preserved in a block of ice in Antarctica. Recently, Conservators of the New Zealand Antarctic Heritage Trust came across the 22 exposed, but unprocessed, cellulose nitrate negatives during an attempt to restore an old exploration hut.
The negatives are believed to be from Ernest Shackleton’s 1914-1917 Ross Sea Party, a group that was stranded in the hut during a blizzard when their ship blew out to sea. They were eventually rescued, but the box remained buried until now.
A Wellington photography conservator carefully processed the negatives in order to reveal the historic mysteries on each frame. Though slightly damaged, the incredible images give us a rare glimpse of adventurers from the past.
AHT Executive Director Nigel Watson says, “It’s the first example that I’m aware of, of undeveloped negatives from a century ago from the Antarctic heroic era. There’s a paucity of images from that expedition.”
Trending on Design You Trust:
- This Barber Artist Creates 3D Portraits In People’s Hair
- Incredible Colorized Photos Of Soldiers During World War One
- Photographer Tracks Down People He Snapped In His Hometown Almost 40 Years Ago To Recreate The Remarkable Images
- Oxford University Women’s Rugby Team Strip Off For Charity Calendar
- Marvelous Dreamlike Portraits Of Redheads With Red Foxes By Alexandra Bochkareva
- Frog That Looks Like Princess Leia Sparks Photoshop Battle, And The Results Are Hilarious
- Photographer Andreas Levers Captures The Hazy Glow Of Unpopulated Streets At Night
- Frozen Beauty: The Look Inside Europe’s Largest Glacier
- Of Course, You Need This 3D Periodic Table Lamp
- Watch This Artist Draw Doodles To Promote His Favourite Makers In A fun And Creative Way
- Dramatic Underwater Portraits That Are Reflective Of Overcoming Troubles In Artist’s Life
- Beautiful Otherworldly Artwork Of Cyril Rolando
- Horrorscope: These Terrifying Zodiac Signs Are Way Too Creepy
- An ‘Infinite’ Galaxy Puzzle That Can Be Built In Any Direction
- This Archaeology Soap Has Hidden Dinosaurs Inside