Chinese Artist Creates Creepy Celebrity Portraits Made From Other People’s Faces
Is an image we see what we believe it is? Is it composed of the elements that we think we see, with techniques we think they are made with?
In his work, Zhang Wei conducts photographic surgery on celebrity portraits. Like a sculptor, he assembles and models their faces, which become contemporary Frankensteins. By recreating portraits of familiar people and faces, he asks questions about idolatry in terms of aesthetics, and offers viewers illusory familiarity.
The work is slow and tedious, requiring unending comparisons of noses and lips and eyes in his vast archive. It also takes a deft touch with Photoshop, and occasionally photographing a hat or other prop to include in the image. The hardest part is “reviving the human spirit,” Wei says, so the portraits don’t look too creepy. Each image takes about two weeks, though Hitler took more than a month.
Born in Shangluo, China, in 1977, Zhang Wei graduated from the department of photography by the Beijing Film Academy BFA. He lives and works in Beijing.
Donald John Trump
Yury Alekseyevich Gagarin
Vladimir Ilyich Lenin
Omar Mouammer al Gaddafi
George W. Bush
Osama Bin Laden
Barack Hussein Obama II
Leave Your Comment Below:
More Inspiring Stories:
- 20 Punk Bands Of The 1980s You’ve Never Heard Of
- Wasteland Weekend 2019: Crazy Faces, Costumes And Vehicles Of The World’s Biggest Post-Apocalyptic Desert Festival
- This Mind-Numbing Machine By Blake Fall-Conroy Lets You Experience Making The Minimum Wage
- Artist Redesigned Famous Logos, Printed Them Out And Repackaged Them In A Way That Will Mess With Your Head … In A Good Way
- Last Breath: Amazing Dark Horror, Bizarre And Nightmare Paintings By Oleg Vdovenko
- Hot Australian Firefighters Pose With Animals For The New 2020 Calendars
- Spectacular Winning Photos From The Wildlife Photographer Of The Year 2019
- People From Around The World Edited These Man And Woman Headshots To Look Trendy In Their Country
- In Girls We Trust: The Superb Bic Pen Illustrations By Helena Hauss
- Traveling Couple Captures Ethereal Images In The Most Unspoiled Places Around The World