Wonderful Intimate Photos Of Women Villagers Who Run The Show In Rural Russia
More and more Russian men have left their homes in the countryside to seek work, leading to the unlikely rise of the village matriarchs and their tough farm daughters.
Despite the fact that rural areas make up a large part of Russia’s six and a half million square miles territory, small village communities often remain unseen. Most people move to big cities in search of work and better perspectives, and villages, deprived of infrastructure and state funding, are left to steady decline. At the same time, life there doesn’t stop. Russian photographer Olya Ivanova is one of a few people who captures contemporary life of the remote communities.
Ivanova started visiting villages all over the country in 2009 while working as a photographer for a Russian magazine. She instantly fell in love with the atmosphere.
“There is a special feeling of freedom, mainly due to the way of communication, totally different from customs of the city,” she explains. “There are no strangers, everyone is involved. The relationship could be anything but formal, estranged, cold. At times there are real dramas and intrigues but everyone cares about everyone else. I discovered a closed community of people living the life completely different from mine, so my key interest was to capture it from the inside.”
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Grotesque, Occult, and Bizarre Images by William Mortensen, the Forgotten Hollywood Photographer
- Bublik – Circular Apartment Building In Moscow Is The Pinnacle Of Brutalism
- Photographer Captures The Mystical Beauty of Czech Forests
- Spectacular Wining Images of The Nature Conservancy Photo Contest 2021
- 25 Redesigns Of Famous Logos And Some Of Them Are Better Than The Original
- Fascinating Winning Photos Of the 2021 Siena International Photo Awards
- A Russian Photographer Gazes at Our Excessive Consumption
- “Captivate!”: Fashionable 90s in Amazing Nostalgic Photos
- “Tears in the Rain”: The Superb Digital Sci-Fi Concept Artworks by Daniel Liang
- This Illustrator Draws Everyday Situations That Are So Familiar It’s Like Looking in the Mirror