Wonderful Intimate Photos Of Women Villagers Who Run The Show In Rural Russia
More and more Russian men have left their homes in the countryside to seek work, leading to the unlikely rise of the village matriarchs and their tough farm daughters.
Despite the fact that rural areas make up a large part of Russia’s six and a half million square miles territory, small village communities often remain unseen. Most people move to big cities in search of work and better perspectives, and villages, deprived of infrastructure and state funding, are left to steady decline. At the same time, life there doesn’t stop. Russian photographer Olya Ivanova is one of a few people who captures contemporary life of the remote communities.
Ivanova started visiting villages all over the country in 2009 while working as a photographer for a Russian magazine. She instantly fell in love with the atmosphere.
“There is a special feeling of freedom, mainly due to the way of communication, totally different from customs of the city,” she explains. “There are no strangers, everyone is involved. The relationship could be anything but formal, estranged, cold. At times there are real dramas and intrigues but everyone cares about everyone else. I discovered a closed community of people living the life completely different from mine, so my key interest was to capture it from the inside.”
Leave Your Comment Below:
More Inspiring Stories:
- A Group Of Czech Students Recreate Weird And Strange Scenes From Medieval Books
- Glitch In The Matrix Across Slavic Countries
- Rare Photos Of Hachiko, The World’s Most Loyal Dog
- Honest Portraits: Unvarnished Russia In Emotional Black & White Photographs By Oleg Videnin
- 2020 Sarcastic Vintage Pictures Calendar Is Here!
- This Artist Creates Inventions That Solve Problems That Don’t Exist
- Funniest Animal Fails Caught In Panoramic Pictures
- Stunning Photographs From The Inside Of Russia’s Largest Bitcoin Mine
- Something Unique: The Superb Humorous, Creative And Advertising Photo Works Of Frank Uyttenhove
- The Lost Corvettes: 36 Chevrolet Corvettes From NYC Barn Find To Be Raffled In Charity Sweepstakes