This Black Guy Drew What It Was Like Being The Only Black Man In A White Office In The 60s, And It’s Worse Than You Think
There’s a lot of drama in the workplace, but probably only a handful of people have experienced it as much as the people of color who started entering predominantly white offices a few decades ago. Tom Floyd was born in Gary, Indiana in 1929 and operated his own advertising firm before working as a designer for the Inland Steel Company. There, his insights on racial dynamics were formed.
“As a ‘BLACK’ white collar worker having willingly and conscientiously taken an active part in America’s leading social pre-occupation… An experiment called ‘Integration’ … I feel compelled to assess my total experience and perhaps the experiences of other Blacks by saying…. ‘INTEGRATION IS A BITCH’…,” Tom Floyd commented.
Floyd used his personal experience as the only black man working in a white environment in the 60s, showcasing the absurd reality he was forced to be a part of. The cartoonist was a proponent of meaningful racial understanding and cooperation. His comic series ‘Integration is a Bitch’ was released in 1969, a time where the vast majority of works like it were rejected by publishers, too scared to deal with such a sensitive subject. Luckily, Floyd’s work managed to squeeze its way into the pressing machine, and people say it’s relevant even today.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Forensic Artist Reconstructs Face From A Skull-Shaped Vodka Bottle
- Italian Artist Illustrates the Sad Truth of Modern Life
- Once You See These Rare Historical Photos, You’ll Never Forget Them
- Rare Photographs Reveal British Soldiers Manning Anti-Aircraft Guns in Full Drag in World War II
- Amazing Photographs Capture Punk Scenes in East Germany During the 1980s
- This Instagram Account Creates Sinister Parodies of Kid’s Cooks To Ruin Your Childhood Memories
- Valentin Pavageau, the Traveler of a Psychedelic Universe
- Italian Artist Proves Tattoos Look Good On More Than People’s Skin By Putting Them On His Sculptures
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- These Photos Will Blow Your Mind – Russia In The 90s Through The Lens With French Photographer Lise Sarfati