A Couple Of Nerds Got 36 iMac Boxes And Made An iWheel
This is what happens when you have a boring ass job.
It all started with 36 cardboard boxes, a few rolls of packing tape and one big idea. For more than a year, systems administrator Mike Campadore had been stashing away iMac boxes whenever the university ordered new computers, noting that the slightly angled shape of the boxes could create a giant wheel if he collected enough of them. He thought it might make a fun toy for his daughter. The result, however, was something no one expected – a viral photo and video that would reach millions around the world.
It all started inconspicuously enough when, on a sunny Friday afternoon in July, Campadore asked IT coworker Rich Bass to help him complete the wheel and the two rolled it out on the quad for a spin. A photo shared by the university marketing department on Facebook quickly found its way to Reddit, Imgur, Tumblr and Twitter, where it went viral, viewed more than 3 million times within hours.
The “iWheel” weighs 120 pounds and was initially just a photo. Then when the Internet caught wind of what was going down, they demanded to see a video:
Soon Photoshop hobbyists began inserting what became known as the “iWheel” into a variety of scenarios, from running with the bulls to scenes from movies like Ben-Hur and Interstellar:
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Doh! The Alternate View On Simpsons By Stanislaw Bashkow
- Snapshots Of Stripteasers From The 1980s At Downtown Los Angeles Venues
- “Namaha”: The Mythologic India In Stunning Illustrations By Abhishek Singh
- The Earthquake Tower by Remco, ca. 1974
- Breathtaking WWII Colorized Photos Look Like They Were Taken Yesterday
- A Soviet-Era Museum In Kyrgyzstan, Built Into The Side Of A Mountain Containing over 33,000 Archeological Artifacts
- Powerful Illustrations By Japanese Artist That Will Make You Think
- Spectacular Winning Images Of 2021 Black & White MonoVisions Photography Awards
- This Artist Draws Pictures to Show That Everything Has a Flip Side
- This UFO Raincoat Is So Much Better Solution Than an Umbrella!