30 Artists’ Tributes To The Iconic Notre-Dame Cathedral
On 15 April 2019 around 6:50 p.m., a fire broke out in the Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris. One of the most famous historical buildings, it has a strong value to Parisian and French culture and is one of the most famous buildings in the world with around 13 million tourists every year. After the tragic news about the iconic cathedral burning went viral, many artists showed their respect to the monument by drawing it.
Scroll down to see the list of these beautiful tributes to the beloved cathedral.
The construction of Notre-Dame started back in 1163 and it was finished almost 200 years later in 1345. It’s important to mention that the iconic spire was added only in the 19th century. Notre-Dame isn’t only known for its incredible architecture, it was also the cathedral in which Napoleon’s coronation by Pope Pius VII took place in 1804.
Since Notre-Dame was first built around 700 years ago, the building required constant renovation. During the last few years, it was in desperate need of reconstruction and that’s exactly what was happening before the fire broke out. The renovation was supposed to cost €6 million. Fires often break out during renovation so it is believed that this might have been the case with the Notre-Dame Cathedral.
After the news broke, French President Emmanuel Macron promised to restore the cathedral. A fundraiser has been launched and within the first 24 hours, it has brought pledges of €800 million by several benefactors. It is estimated that the reconstruction might take up to 20 years.
Recent news declare that there have been €1 billion donated to the reconstruction of the Notre-Dame Cathedral which has caused some controversy online. Many people claim that during the past few years there have been many tragic losses around the world, with many people losing their home and their loved ones, yet nobody has ever donated this much money to any of the causes. Notre-Dame example shows how many of the world’s problems could be solved if the world’s richest people would donate to those in need.
Leave Your Comment Below:
More Inspiring Stories:
- Urban Explorer Visits Abandoned Japanese Love Motel Of Naughty Attractions
- These 3-D Portraits Were Created Using Only A Person’s DNA
- 40-Foot Studebaker President: The World’s Biggest Passenger Car
- Summer Beach Knife Oil Paintings By Alena Shymchonak
- This Bizarre Japanese Temple Looks Like A Fallen Intergalactic Starship
- Breathtaking Wildlife Macro Photography In The Borneo Rainforest By Chien C. Lee
- This Artist Turns Pieces Of Classical Art Into Hyperrealistic Portraits
- Siberian Farm Cats Are Waiting For Spring To Come In Marvelous Photos By Alla Lebedeva
- Cinematic And Cyberpunk Urban Photography By Felipe OA
- Misspelled Tattoos: Permanent And Hilarious