Student Shares Pics From Art Book In Christian College, The Censorship Is Beyond Ridiculous
Art students at Pensacola Christian College are, according to the college’s website, “equipped to share Christ through the visual arts, music, or dramatic performance.” Fair enough. A rather niche area of study, but each to their own, right?
Art history features prominently in the curriculum, as students are encouraged to gain a biblically supported understanding of the arts. What a wondrous world awaits the student! Feasting on the fruits of human imagination since the dawn of time, they will learn all about the life and times of some true icons of mankind, from Michelangelo and Da Vinci to Van Gogh, Picasso and Dali. Talk about putting the fun back into fundamentalist Christian schooling!
However, not is all as it seems. Denial of history is a common tactic among the more hardcore religiously-minded, and while it’s not exactly the Taliban blowing up ancient statues of Buddha in Afghanistan, feeling the need to censor the slightest hint of cleavage on the Mona Lisa is sensitivity bordering on the extreme.
How are students supposed to learn the history of art when the realities of the times are fastidiously covered up? Someone, somewhere, had the onerous task of ‘clothing’ an entire textbook’s worth of iconic figures deemed too ‘risque’ by the prudish art department, with classical genitals, boobs and bums crudely drawn over in black marker.
The results are sad for the students, whose worldview is tragically limited by the religious police, but quite hilarious for us, as we see the lengths that some Christians will go to maintain their ideological ‘purity.’
Pensacola Christian College is located in Pensacola, Florida and was founded in 1974. Their goal is to “train young men and women in higher education for a life of service to Jesus Christ,” and to “promote the cause of Christ by providing a distinctively Christian-traditional, liberal arts education that develops students spiritually, intellectually, morally, culturally, and socially.”
The school is free to teach as it chooses, but what do you think about this kind of censorship? What do you think that sheltering students from reality like this, hopes to achieve? Let us know what you think in the comments!
Leave Your Comment Below:
More Inspiring Stories:
- 20 Punk Bands Of The 1980s You’ve Never Heard Of
- Wasteland Weekend 2019: Crazy Faces, Costumes And Vehicles Of The World’s Biggest Post-Apocalyptic Desert Festival
- Female Artists Are Being Completely Removed From Their Own Album Covers In Iran
- The ‘World’s Biggest’ War Diorama, A State-Funded Exhibition Recreates The Battlefields Of WWII In Brutal Detail
- Beauties Of Octoberfest, The World’s Most Iconic Beer Festival 2019
- Vintage Snapshots Of Freaky Halloween Costumes That Give You A Nightmare
- 5 Year-Old Recreates Photos Of Iconic Women Every Day Of Black History Month
- These Pics Are Composed Of As Many Pixels As There Are Animals Still Alive In These Species
- Artist Makes “Porcelain” Weapons To Explore What It Means To Be A Woman
- Stunning Vintage Pictures Of The London Underground Through The Times