Cate Blanchett Photographed by Robin Sellick, 1994
Born Catherine Élise Blanchett in Melbourne, Australia, on May 14, 1969, Cate Blanchett began making a name for herself in theater soon after graduating from Australia’s National Institute of Dramatic Art in 1992.
She quickly won roles with the Sydney Theatre Company, first in its production of Top Girls and then in Kafka Dances. For her latter performance, Blanchett won the Sydney Theatre Critics Circle Newcomer Award in 1993. She also received critical acclaim for roles in productions of Hamlet, The Tempest and The Seagull.
Her U.S. film debut was in 1997’s Paradise Road and she’s gone on to star in a number of lauded projects, including The Talented Mr. Ripley, The Aviator, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and two films about Queen Elizabeth I.
In 2005, she won an Academy Award for her role as Katharine Hepburn in The Aviator. She received another Oscar in 2014, this time for Best Actress for her performance in Blue Jasmine, and earned additional acclaim for her role in 2015’s romantic drama Carol.
Here, these fascinating photographs of Blanchett were taken by Robin Sellick in 1994. Sellick is an Australian photographer who photographed some of the biggest stars through the 1990s. He is based in Adelaide, South Australia, so touring acts usually had a full press calendar in Sydney and Melbourne but would have free time when they were in Adelaide.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Starblazer: Forgotten Fantasy Fiction In Pictures
- Honest Illustrations By Barbara Daniels Showing Our Society If The Roles Of Humans And Animals Were Reversed
- “Free Like the Wind”: Sensual Illustrations Filled with Sunshine and Youth by Peijin Yang
- “Inner Landscape”: Geography Of The Soul By Isabella Conti
- WildArt Photographer Of The Year: Winners Of EYES Competition
- Childhood Of Tomorrow: The Incredible Surreal Art Of Simon Stålenhag
- “Hard Candy”: The Superb 3D Digital Concept Artworks of CHØKE DESIGNS
- Walter Pichler’s Futuristic Visions from the ’60s
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- The Liquid Typography by Alex Valentina