This Tumblr User “Normalizes” Cartoon Characters And Now People Can’t Decide Which Is Better
Have you ever wondered what makes the animated characters so cute? Sure, the colors and the fluff help, but the key selling point have always been their child-like features. And over the years animation companies like Disney have made that adorable look an industry standard.
Illustrator Roosa Karlsson aka TheNamelessDoll, calls it the “baby face”:
“The reason I call the phenomenon “baby-face” has nothing to do with a round face shape, but more with ‘huge eyes+big head+tiny body’,” writes Roosa.
“Basically, when animated women are designed to have the same main features as babies/children. This has recently started appearing a lot in CGI animation, but has been very common in manga/anime for a while (especially shoujo).”
To highlight the technique Karlsson has Photoshopped a series of images where she gave famous animated characters a more realistic face proportions. The changes are subtle, but the overall impression actually changes quite a bit.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- There’s an Atmospheric Abandoned Jurassic Park Located in the Heart of Russia
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- Stunning Entries of The 2021 Perpignan’s Festival of Photojournalism
- Vintage Cars, Palms & Backyard Pools in Californian Inspired Paintings by Danny Heller
- Spectacular Winning Images of The Bird Photographer of the Year 2021
- Our Dystopian Future in Dark Cyberpunk Artworks of Nagafujiriku
- Sensual Black and White Portrait Photos of Goldie Hawn Taken by Joseph Klipple in 1964
- The Art of Japanese Portrait Photography by Kishin Shinoyama
- Modern Logos in Chromatic Style by Martin Naumann
- The Most Impressive Photos From The Ocean Photography Awards 2021 Finalists