Canadian Professor Transforms His Skin With 2,500-Year-Old Scythian-Inspired Tattoos
Getting inked isn’t a new thing. In the BP exhibition “Scythians: Warriors of Ancient Siberia”, you will find skin preserved with ancient tattoos. Dave Mazierski, a medical illustrator and biomedical communications professor from Toronto has made it his mission in life to cover his body in the same tattoos that are found on a 2,500-year-old mummy from a Bronze Age Scythian tribe.
“I was attracted to the beautiful and organic designs when they were shown to me by my former teacher and mentor in the Art as Applied to Medicine program at the University of Toronto, Steve Gilbert, who also happened to be a tattoo artist and historian. I told him I was interested in starting a ‘tattoo project’ in which all of the pieces would (eventually) integrate into a greater whole… I was thinking along the lines of a Japanese style ‘body suit’. I was unfamiliar with the Scythian/Pazyryk tattoos at the time, but when Steve showed them to me, I decided that that was the art I wanted,” said Dave.
More info: The British Museum
Line drawings of tattoos from a Scythian burial.
Fragment of mummified skin showing a Scythian tattoo.
© The State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg, 2017. Photo: V Terebenin.
Steve Gilbert tattooing Dave Mazierski.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook & Telegram:
- Artist Hilariously Trolls Celebrities With His Ridiculous Fan Art
- Artist Jim ‘ll Paint It Makes Crazy Pictures On Request Using Microsoft Paint
- Haunting Photos That Will Fill Your Dreams For Days
- “Facebook Friendly”: Get Lost In The Artfully Censored Nude Photos Of Lee Nutter
- Sensual NSFW Female Nude Photography By Alisa Verner
- Marvelous Female Portrait Photography By Onur Alagöz
- Exploring Creative Intimacy In Photographer Chill’s NSFW Shots
- Wonderful Photos Capture The Beach Lives Of North Carolina In The Summer Of 1975
- Catzillas: Giant Cats In Urban Landscapes
- “Erotic Mehndi”: The Incredible Henna Art By Mary Ginkas
- Spectacular Winners Of The World Press Photo Award 2018
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- From Game Of Thrones To Harry Potter: Film And TV Library Designs Give Fans Insight Into Iconic Scene
- Marvelous Moody Portrait Photography By Sonia Neisha
- Drake’s Lyrics Make The Best Cake Quotes Ever!