Canadian Professor Transforms His Skin With 2,500-Year-Old Scythian-Inspired Tattoos
Getting inked isn’t a new thing. In the BP exhibition “Scythians: Warriors of Ancient Siberia”, you will find skin preserved with ancient tattoos. Dave Mazierski, a medical illustrator and biomedical communications professor from Toronto has made it his mission in life to cover his body in the same tattoos that are found on a 2,500-year-old mummy from a Bronze Age Scythian tribe.
“I was attracted to the beautiful and organic designs when they were shown to me by my former teacher and mentor in the Art as Applied to Medicine program at the University of Toronto, Steve Gilbert, who also happened to be a tattoo artist and historian. I told him I was interested in starting a ‘tattoo project’ in which all of the pieces would (eventually) integrate into a greater whole… I was thinking along the lines of a Japanese style ‘body suit’. I was unfamiliar with the Scythian/Pazyryk tattoos at the time, but when Steve showed them to me, I decided that that was the art I wanted,” said Dave.
More info: The British Museum
Line drawings of tattoos from a Scythian burial.
Fragment of mummified skin showing a Scythian tattoo.
© The State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg, 2017. Photo: V Terebenin.
Steve Gilbert tattooing Dave Mazierski.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook:
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- This Is How The Practical Miniatures For Blade Runner 2049 Were Created
- Photographer Tracks Down People He Snapped In His Hometown Almost 40 Years Ago To Recreate The Remarkable Images
- This ‘Swim Reaper’ Instagram Account Is Absolute Gold
- Stunning Finalists Of The Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards 2017
- Hammond Fever! Vintage Sexy And NSFW Hammond Organ Album Covers
- “Neon Dreams”: Photographer Matthieu Bühler Explores The Streets Of Tokyo At Night
- Artist Illustrates What Would Happen If Movies And TV Shows Were Made In Real Life
- The Girl with the Octopus Butt Tattoo!
- Bodies Of Strange Creatures Were Found In The Basement Of An Old House In London
- Burning Man 2017: Stunning Photos From The World’s Biggest And Craziest Festival
- “The Struggle For Utopia”: Everyday Soviet Life In Magnificent Photos By Semyon Friedland
- “Peace, Love, Music And Mud”: LIFE At Woodstock In 1969
- This Lighting Collection Is Designed To Look Like Sausages In A Butcher Shop
- Architect Carlo Mollino’s Secret Stash Of NSFW Erotic Polaroids
- Russian Artist Makes Beautiful Space Themed Calendar For The Year 2018
- This Street Library In Bulgaria Encourages People To Read
- Remarkable Photos Of Manhattan By Berenice Abbott From 1935
- Artist Aditya Aryanto Continues To Transform Animals Into Geometric Shapes – Meet Animal Balls!
- Careful What You Ask For Because This Guy Is A Photoshop Troll Master
- Satirical NSFW Illustrations Of Today’s Problems By Gunduz Agayev
- Australian Bureau Of Meteorology’s 2018 Calendar
- Beautiful Black And White Portraits Of Celebrities Taken By Kate Barry
- Colorful Concept Artworks By Kaloyan Stoyanov
- Incredible Ice Sculptures By Darren Jackson