Canadian Professor Transforms His Skin With 2,500-Year-Old Scythian-Inspired Tattoos
Getting inked isn’t a new thing. In the BP exhibition “Scythians: Warriors of Ancient Siberia”, you will find skin preserved with ancient tattoos. Dave Mazierski, a medical illustrator and biomedical communications professor from Toronto has made it his mission in life to cover his body in the same tattoos that are found on a 2,500-year-old mummy from a Bronze Age Scythian tribe.
“I was attracted to the beautiful and organic designs when they were shown to me by my former teacher and mentor in the Art as Applied to Medicine program at the University of Toronto, Steve Gilbert, who also happened to be a tattoo artist and historian. I told him I was interested in starting a ‘tattoo project’ in which all of the pieces would (eventually) integrate into a greater whole… I was thinking along the lines of a Japanese style ‘body suit’. I was unfamiliar with the Scythian/Pazyryk tattoos at the time, but when Steve showed them to me, I decided that that was the art I wanted,” said Dave.
More info: The British Museum
Line drawings of tattoos from a Scythian burial.
Fragment of mummified skin showing a Scythian tattoo.
© The State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg, 2017. Photo: V Terebenin.
Steve Gilbert tattooing Dave Mazierski.
- Gorgeous NSFW Female Portraits By The Russian Photographer Marat Safin
- “In The Middle Of Nowhere”: Young Photographer Captures Atmospheric Photos Of The Russian Suburb
- How People With Bad Eyesight See The World When They Take Off Their Glasses
- Photos Show Chinese Factory Workers Making ‘Trump 2020’ Flags
- Stroyboard Artist Marty Cooper Inserts Cartoons Into Real-World Situations
- Vintage Photos Of Lumberjacks Who Felled Big Trees Using Only Hand Tools In The Early 20th Century
- Sensual Self-Portrait Photography By Johanna Punz
- Lips And Beauty: Close-Up Photography By Nastia Cloutier-Ignatiev
- Venice Beach By Dotan Saguy
- Awkward Vintage Japanese Movie Monsters
- “Beauty Will Save The World”: Meet Sergei Lenin, The Master Of Beauty And Nude Photography From Russia
- Fabulous Portraits By Ukrainian Photo Artist Irina Dzhul
- The Photography Duo Blending Art, Beauty And LEGO
- Sensual NSFW Female Nude Photography By Alisa Verner
- Designer 3D Prints Famous Logos Into Items You Can Use Everyday