Amazing Rare Photographs of The Romanovs’ Final Ball In Color, St Petersburg, Russia 1903
The last emperor of Russia Nicolas II dressed in the golden brocade of 17th-century Russian tsar Alexey Mikhailovich, standng with Empress Alexandra Fedorovna. All the jewellery was chosen by court jeweller Carl Faberge.
These portrait photographs of Russia’s ruling Romanovs were taken in 1903 at the Winter Palace in majestic. St. Petersburg. Knowing what was to follow, the venue was apposite.
Czar Nicholas II and his 390 guests partied for 2 days. Day one (February 11) saw dancing, music and food. With the guests loosened up and rested, day 2 (Feb 15th) featured a masked ball. There was a surfeit of sexual excess, debauchery and entitlement for a family whose absolutist rule was hailed by the country’s grateful serfs – they dubbed the Czar ‘Little Father’ – and supported by a complicit church which declared Romanov blood sacred.
In 1918, Bolshevik officials executed the ex-Emperor and his family.
Princess Olga Orlova in Masquerade Costume for the Ball
Grand Duchess Xenia Alexandrovna of Russia, 1903
Alexandra Feodorovna, Costume Ball 1903
La Comtesse Karlow, nee Vonlarsky (Femme de boyard du XVII siecle)
La Comtesse Fersen, nee Princesse Dolgorouky (Femme de boyard du XVII siecle)
La Comtesse Orlow-Davydow, nee Zographo (Femme de boyard du XVII siecle)
Mademoiselle Dorothee Bibikow, 1903
La Comtesse Keller, née Princesse Schakhovskoy (Femme de boyard)
Mademoiselle Alexandrine Taneiew
La Princesse Elisabeth Obolensky, Demoiselle d’honneur de Sa Ma
La Comtesse Elisabeth Moussine-Pouchkine, née Comtesse Capnist (Femme de boyard du XVII siècle)
La Princesse Youssoupow
Anna Taneeva (Vyrubova) with sister
S.A.S. la Princesse Galitzine, née Comtesse Moussine-Pou
S.A.S. le Prince Dmitri Galitzine, Chef de la Venerie Imperial
Madame Bezobrazow, nee Comtesse Stenbock-Fermor (Femme de boyard)
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Incredible Winning Photographs From The 2020 International Photography Awards
- “Russian Riviera”: Resort City of Yalta in Stunning Photos by Martin Parr
- Before She Was Famous, Marilyn Monroe Was Paid Just $10 an Hour to Pose for Pin-up Artist Earl Moran in the Late 1940s
- This Korean Tattoo Artist Creates Tattoo Cover-Up Masterpieces!
- Spectacular Winning Images of The Tokyo International Foto Awards 2020
- Attractive Female Portraits By Natalia Ivanova That Show How Diverse And Beautiful Humans Are
- Illustrations That Reveal Our Weird Social Media Lives
- Design Crowd Issued A Challenge To Create The Worst Ad, And The Contestants Have Delivered
- First Photo Shoots Of Angelina Jolie When She Was 15 Years Old
- Stunning Vintage Photos That Capture New York’s Subway Since The ’80s