A Neural Network Invented A Bunch Of New Paint Colors That Are Hilariously Wrong
At some point, we’ve all wondered about the incredibly strange names for paint colors. Research scientist and neural network goofball Janelle Shane took the wondering a step further. Shane decided to train a neural network to generate new paint colors, complete with appropriate names. The results are possibly the greatest work of artificial intelligence I’ve seen to date.
Writes Shane on her Tumblr, “For this experiment, I gave the neural network a list of about 7,700 Sherwin-Williams paint colors along with their RGB values. (RGB = red, green, and blue color values.) Could the neural network learn to invent new paint colors and give them attractive names?”
By the first checkpoint, the neural network has learned to produce valid RGB values – these are colors, all right, and you could technically paint your walls with them. It’s a little farther behind the curve on the names, although it does seem to be attempting a combination of the colors brown, blue, and gray.
By the second checkpoint, the neural network can properly spell green and gray. It doesn’t seem to actually know what color they are, however.
Let’s check in with what the more-creative setting is producing.
Later in the training process, the neural network is about as well-trained as it’s going to be (perhaps with different parameters, it could have done a bit better – a lot of neural network training involves choosing the right training parameters). By this point, it’s able to figure out some of the basic colors, like white, red, and grey:
Although not reliably.
In fact, looking at the neural network’s output as a whole, it is evident that:
– the neural network really likes brown, beige, and grey.
– the neural network has really really bad ideas for paint names.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook:
- Absolutey Stunning Artworks And Funny Soviet Posters In The Pin-Up Style By Valery Barykin
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- This Is How The Practical Miniatures For Blade Runner 2049 Were Created
- Remarkable Photos Of Manhattan By Berenice Abbott From 1935
- “The Struggle For Utopia”: Everyday Soviet Life In Magnificent Photos By Semyon Friedland
- Hammond Fever! Vintage Sexy And NSFW Hammond Organ Album Covers
- Photographer Tracks Down People He Snapped In His Hometown Almost 40 Years Ago To Recreate The Remarkable Images
- “Neon Dreams”: Photographer Matthieu Bühler Explores The Streets Of Tokyo At Night
- Concept Artist Paul Chadeisson Reveals His Sinister And Industrialised Vision Of The Cities’ Futures
- Stunning Finalists Of The Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards 2017
- Russian Artist Makes Beautiful Space Themed Calendar For The Year 2018
- The Super Hot And Humorous 2018 New York City Taxi Drivers Calendar Is Here!
- The Girl with the Octopus Butt Tattoo!
- Bodies Of Strange Creatures Were Found In The Basement Of An Old House In London
- Burning Man 2017: Stunning Photos From The World’s Biggest And Craziest Festival
- Careful What You Ask For Because This Guy Is A Photoshop Troll Master
- Architect Carlo Mollino’s Secret Stash Of NSFW Erotic Polaroids
- Graceful Dancers Practicing Out In The City Streets Captured By Melika Dez
- This ‘Swim Reaper’ Instagram Account Is Absolute Gold
- Satirical NSFW Illustrations Of Today’s Problems By Gunduz Agayev
- Artist Illustrates What Would Happen If Movies And TV Shows Were Made In Real Life
- A Built-In Dog Bed Was Created In This Living Room Wall
- Artist Aditya Aryanto Continues To Transform Animals Into Geometric Shapes – Meet Animal Balls!
- Guy Discovers He Can Go Anywhere While Wearing A Hi-Vis Vest
- Colorful Concept Artworks By Kaloyan Stoyanov