A Neural Network Invented A Bunch Of New Paint Colors That Are Hilariously Wrong
At some point, we’ve all wondered about the incredibly strange names for paint colors. Research scientist and neural network goofball Janelle Shane took the wondering a step further. Shane decided to train a neural network to generate new paint colors, complete with appropriate names. The results are possibly the greatest work of artificial intelligence I’ve seen to date.
Writes Shane on her Tumblr, “For this experiment, I gave the neural network a list of about 7,700 Sherwin-Williams paint colors along with their RGB values. (RGB = red, green, and blue color values.) Could the neural network learn to invent new paint colors and give them attractive names?”
By the first checkpoint, the neural network has learned to produce valid RGB values – these are colors, all right, and you could technically paint your walls with them. It’s a little farther behind the curve on the names, although it does seem to be attempting a combination of the colors brown, blue, and gray.
By the second checkpoint, the neural network can properly spell green and gray. It doesn’t seem to actually know what color they are, however.
Let’s check in with what the more-creative setting is producing.
Later in the training process, the neural network is about as well-trained as it’s going to be (perhaps with different parameters, it could have done a bit better – a lot of neural network training involves choosing the right training parameters). By this point, it’s able to figure out some of the basic colors, like white, red, and grey:
Although not reliably.
In fact, looking at the neural network’s output as a whole, it is evident that:
– the neural network really likes brown, beige, and grey.
– the neural network has really really bad ideas for paint names.
- Designer 3D Prints Famous Logos Into Items You Can Use Everyday
- “Dreams Of Sensuality”: Beautiful Art Nude Photography By Dani Fehr
- Gorgeous NSFW Female Portraits By The Russian Photographer Marat Safin
- Impressive Celebrity Portraits By Bettina Rheims
- “Beauty Will Save The World”: Meet Sergei Lenin, The Master Of Beauty And Nude Photography From Russia
- Marvelous NSFW Female Portrait Photography By Darren Ankenman
- Sensual Self-Portrait Photography By Johanna Punz
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Sensual NSFW Female Nude Photography By Alisa Verner
- Stroyboard Artist Marty Cooper Inserts Cartoons Into Real-World Situations
- Photos Show Chinese Factory Workers Making ‘Trump 2020’ Flags
- How People With Bad Eyesight See The World When They Take Off Their Glasses
- Awkward Vintage Japanese Movie Monsters
- Vintage Photos Of Lumberjacks Who Felled Big Trees Using Only Hand Tools In The Early 20th Century
- The Russian Photographer Creating Cosmic Colourways To Know