A Neural Network Invented A Bunch Of New Paint Colors That Are Hilariously Wrong
At some point, we’ve all wondered about the incredibly strange names for paint colors. Research scientist and neural network goofball Janelle Shane took the wondering a step further. Shane decided to train a neural network to generate new paint colors, complete with appropriate names. The results are possibly the greatest work of artificial intelligence I’ve seen to date.
Writes Shane on her Tumblr, “For this experiment, I gave the neural network a list of about 7,700 Sherwin-Williams paint colors along with their RGB values. (RGB = red, green, and blue color values.) Could the neural network learn to invent new paint colors and give them attractive names?”
By the first checkpoint, the neural network has learned to produce valid RGB values – these are colors, all right, and you could technically paint your walls with them. It’s a little farther behind the curve on the names, although it does seem to be attempting a combination of the colors brown, blue, and gray.
By the second checkpoint, the neural network can properly spell green and gray. It doesn’t seem to actually know what color they are, however.
Let’s check in with what the more-creative setting is producing.
Later in the training process, the neural network is about as well-trained as it’s going to be (perhaps with different parameters, it could have done a bit better – a lot of neural network training involves choosing the right training parameters). By this point, it’s able to figure out some of the basic colors, like white, red, and grey:
Although not reliably.
In fact, looking at the neural network’s output as a whole, it is evident that:
– the neural network really likes brown, beige, and grey.
– the neural network has really really bad ideas for paint names.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook:
- Vintage, Rare, Candid, Funny, Beautiful, Weird And Awesome Celebrity Photos
- The Incredible Art Of Maciej Kuciara, Who’s Worked On The Last Of Us, Ghost In The Shell & Crysis
- Vintage Yugoslavian Computer Magazine Cover Girls Of The 1980s-90s
- Magnificent NSFW Beauty Photography By Stepan Kvardakov
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Photographer Shot Portraits Of Strangers Before And After She Kissed Them
- Bulgarian Girls Are Crazy About Getting Photographed By Turkish Photographer Ibrahim Kyoseyumer
- The Girl with the Octopus Butt Tattoo!
- Sensual NSFW Female Nude Photography By Alisa Verner
- Gorgeous Female Portraits By Kevin Mathison
- #HerWhite: Gorgeous Black And White Beauty Photography By Dmitry Bocharov
- Jenn Brown Captures Amazing Photos Of Abandoned Places Across The USA
- Belarusian Photographer Captures The Beauty Of Women’s Bodies In Gorgeous Erotic Photos
- Bodies Of Strange Creatures Were Found In The Basement Of An Old House In London
- Meet The Ukrainian Photography Duo Taking Nude Selfies To The Next Level
- This Paper Memo Pad Excavates Hidden Objects As It Gets Used
- Fashion Is The Focus For Australian Photographer-In-Demand Ali Mitton
- “Forgotten Heroes Of The Old Republic”: Stunning Post-Apocalyptic Illustrations By Rostislav Zagornov
- There’s A “Stranger Things” Ouija Board
- Japanese Photographer Captures Very Sad Stray Cats And Their Games
- Burning Man 2017: Stunning Photos From The World’s Biggest And Craziest Festival
- “Within Two Worlds”: Incredible Dazzling Night Sky Photos By Astro Photographer Brad Goldpaint
- Funny Illustrations That Show The Two Kinds Of People In The World
- Retro Photos In WTF Style
- “In A Parallel Universe”: Artist Exposes Sexism By Switching Up Gender Roles In Old-School Ads