A German Dancer Couple Created Extravagant And Playful Costumes Before They Committed Suicide In 1924
Knowledge of the astonishingly bizarre and tragic art of Walter Holdt and Lavinia Schulz is obscure and largely based on the rediscovery in 1986 of artifacts deposited in a Hamburg museum back in 1925.
Lavinia Schulz was born in Germany in 1896. She trained in dance, music and painting and aged just 17 became the costume creator and dancer for Lothar Schreyer who had just founded the Expressionist theatre Sturm-Bühne. She left the theatre aged 20 and married Walter Holdt.
Together their ethos was to live without money and they lived with no bed or furniture. They are also said to have lived in their dance tights so that they could constantly devote themselves to dance and costume.
The marriage, however, experienced intense strain. The couple had great difficulty earning any money and longed to find a way to live without it; Holdt apparently possessed a character that was not entirely trustworthy, and Schulz was violently jealous, perpetually terrified that Holdt would betray her for another woman.
In 1923 she gave birth to a son, but in this last year of the great inflation she and Holdt suffered from continual hunger. In June 1924 police discovered their bodies in the bizarre cellar apartment, with the baby between them. Schulz had shot Holdt to death, then killed herself.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook:
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- This Is How The Practical Miniatures For Blade Runner 2049 Were Created
- Photographer Tracks Down People He Snapped In His Hometown Almost 40 Years Ago To Recreate The Remarkable Images
- This ‘Swim Reaper’ Instagram Account Is Absolute Gold
- Stunning Finalists Of The Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards 2017
- Hammond Fever! Vintage Sexy And NSFW Hammond Organ Album Covers
- “Neon Dreams”: Photographer Matthieu Bühler Explores The Streets Of Tokyo At Night
- Artist Illustrates What Would Happen If Movies And TV Shows Were Made In Real Life
- The Girl with the Octopus Butt Tattoo!
- Bodies Of Strange Creatures Were Found In The Basement Of An Old House In London
- Burning Man 2017: Stunning Photos From The World’s Biggest And Craziest Festival
- “The Struggle For Utopia”: Everyday Soviet Life In Magnificent Photos By Semyon Friedland
- “Peace, Love, Music And Mud”: LIFE At Woodstock In 1969
- This Lighting Collection Is Designed To Look Like Sausages In A Butcher Shop
- Architect Carlo Mollino’s Secret Stash Of NSFW Erotic Polaroids
- Russian Artist Makes Beautiful Space Themed Calendar For The Year 2018
- This Street Library In Bulgaria Encourages People To Read
- Remarkable Photos Of Manhattan By Berenice Abbott From 1935
- Artist Aditya Aryanto Continues To Transform Animals Into Geometric Shapes – Meet Animal Balls!
- Careful What You Ask For Because This Guy Is A Photoshop Troll Master
- Satirical NSFW Illustrations Of Today’s Problems By Gunduz Agayev
- Australian Bureau Of Meteorology’s 2018 Calendar
- Beautiful Black And White Portraits Of Celebrities Taken By Kate Barry
- Colorful Concept Artworks By Kaloyan Stoyanov
- Incredible Ice Sculptures By Darren Jackson