A German Dancer Couple Created Extravagant And Playful Costumes Before They Committed Suicide In 1924
Knowledge of the astonishingly bizarre and tragic art of Walter Holdt and Lavinia Schulz is obscure and largely based on the rediscovery in 1986 of artifacts deposited in a Hamburg museum back in 1925.
Lavinia Schulz was born in Germany in 1896. She trained in dance, music and painting and aged just 17 became the costume creator and dancer for Lothar Schreyer who had just founded the Expressionist theatre Sturm-Bühne. She left the theatre aged 20 and married Walter Holdt.
Together their ethos was to live without money and they lived with no bed or furniture. They are also said to have lived in their dance tights so that they could constantly devote themselves to dance and costume.
The marriage, however, experienced intense strain. The couple had great difficulty earning any money and longed to find a way to live without it; Holdt apparently possessed a character that was not entirely trustworthy, and Schulz was violently jealous, perpetually terrified that Holdt would betray her for another woman.
In 1923 she gave birth to a son, but in this last year of the great inflation she and Holdt suffered from continual hunger. In June 1924 police discovered their bodies in the bizarre cellar apartment, with the baby between them. Schulz had shot Holdt to death, then killed herself.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook:
- Magnificent NSFW Beauty Photography By Stepan Kvardakov
- Spectacular Winners Of The Hasselblad Masters Award 2018
- “Butcher Billy’s Tales Of The Unexpected Black Mirrors”: The Episodes Of Season 4 Turned Into Vintage Comics
- Photographer Captures Intimate And Unguarded Portraits Of Porn Stars
- The Incredible Art Of Maciej Kuciara, Who’s Worked On The Last Of Us, Ghost In The Shell & Crysis
- From Australia With Love – Beauty Photography By Chris Dwyer
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Here’s What’s Happening Outside Of Famous Music Album Covers
- Norwegian Artist Nikolai Lockertsen Creates Amazing Concept Art By Using iPad As A Canvas
- The Best Photographs Of 2017 – By The People Who Shot Them
- Sensual NSFW Female Nude Photography By Alisa Verner
- 100-Year-Old Negatives Discovered In Block Of Ice In Antarctica
- Snowlandia – World’s Largest Snow Labyrinth Opens In Poland
- Turbo-Reactive Diesel-Punk: Flying Retro Cars By Alejandro Burdisio
- Japanese Photographer Captures Very Sad Stray Cats And Their Games
- Gorgeous Female Portraits By Kevin Mathison
- Vintage, Rare, Candid, Funny, Beautiful, Weird And Awesome Celebrity Photos
- This Guy Bought A Giant Plastic Godzilla, And Now They Travel Everywhere Together
- 30 Captivating Historical Photographs Which You Need To See
- These Neon-Soaked Cityscapes Make South Africa Look Like Hong Kong
- Retro Photos In WTF Style
- These Ads From Haiti Hope To Use Trump’s Words Against Him
- Meet Elena Deligioz, Probably The Most Beautiful Female Cosplay Soldier In The World
- This Modern Cat Tree Designed To Feel Your Cats At Anytime
- The Girl with the Octopus Butt Tattoo!