The Bizarre Looking Of Henry VIII’s Horned Helmet, c.1511-1514
One of the most mysterious objects in the Royal Armouries’ collection is the ‘Horned Helmet’, made for Henry VIII. It formed part of a magnificent armor, commissioned in 1511 by the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I as a gift for the young king, who would have worn the armor for court pageants rather than in combat.
Only this helmet now survives. The decoration on the grotesque mask is etched, with life-like facial details even down to the stubble on the chin and crow’s feet around the eyes, and there is a pronounced drip beneath the nose. The mask is complete with a pair of spectacles, which heighten further the strangeness of this helmet. A pair of ram’s horns, beautifully modeled in sheet iron, complete this extraordinary piece and make it so remarkable that it was chosen as the object to represent the Royal Armouries museum in Leeds when it first opened in 1996.
Research into the identification of the source which inspired the mask of the Horned Helmet is continuing, but the copper alloy (possibly originally gilded) spectacles were never fitted with lenses. It is believed that the spectacles form part of the identity of a ‘fool’, a figure commonly found in late 15th- and early 16th-century imagery, suggesting that everyone, however noble or lowly, has elements of foolishness in their character.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook & Telegram:
- “The Memories Of The Future”: Photographer Nuno Assis Captures Fantastic Photos Of Hong Kong
- “WC For Architects”: Old Toilet Wall Decorated With Photos Of Windows From The Neighbourhood
- Professional Russian Photographer Pavel Kiselev Captures Sensual NSFW Female Pictures
- Oceanco Debuts Unique 115-Meter-Long Megayacht That Will Truly Sail You In Style
- Photographer Recreates Famous Portraits With John Malkovich As His Model
- Marvelous Female Portrait Photography by Kai Böttcher
- These Photos Will Blow Your Mind – Russia In The 90s Through The Lens With French Photographer Lise Sarfati
- Gorgeous Beachwear And Lingerie Photography By Bonnie Cee
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Conceptual Photography And Self-Portraits By Marina Choy
- How A Heart Attack Changed Artist Alex Garant’s Life
- Fascinating And Provocative Close-Up Photography By Marius Sperlich
- Russian Photographer’s Surreal Images Will Transport You Into An Enchanted World
- Magical Photos Of China Taken By The US Photographer Tristan Zhou
- The Girl with the Octopus Butt Tattoo!