The Bizarre Looking Of Henry VIII’s Horned Helmet, c.1511-1514
One of the most mysterious objects in the Royal Armouries’ collection is the ‘Horned Helmet’, made for Henry VIII. It formed part of a magnificent armor, commissioned in 1511 by the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I as a gift for the young king, who would have worn the armor for court pageants rather than in combat.
Only this helmet now survives. The decoration on the grotesque mask is etched, with life-like facial details even down to the stubble on the chin and crow’s feet around the eyes, and there is a pronounced drip beneath the nose. The mask is complete with a pair of spectacles, which heighten further the strangeness of this helmet. A pair of ram’s horns, beautifully modeled in sheet iron, complete this extraordinary piece and make it so remarkable that it was chosen as the object to represent the Royal Armouries museum in Leeds when it first opened in 1996.
Research into the identification of the source which inspired the mask of the Horned Helmet is continuing, but the copper alloy (possibly originally gilded) spectacles were never fitted with lenses. It is believed that the spectacles form part of the identity of a ‘fool’, a figure commonly found in late 15th- and early 16th-century imagery, suggesting that everyone, however noble or lowly, has elements of foolishness in their character.
- “The Underwear Poetry”: Sensual Female Lingerie By Sarah Stagliano
- Spectacular Body Artworks From The World Bodypainting Festival 2018 In Austria
- These Doodles Explain Why Every Millennial Is Having A Tough Time Growing Up
- Gorgeous & Sensual NSFW Female Portrait Photography By Zeno Gill
- Mad, Urban, Grunge And Sensual NSFW Photography By David Kirscher
- Sensual NSFW Female Nude Photography By Alisa Verner
- Singular Beauties Revealed By The Romanian Photographer Michelle De Rose
- Beautiful NSFW Female Portrait Photography By The Russian Photographer Daria Klepikova
- Russian Artist Transforms Old, Shabby Walls Into Mesmerizing Art Objects
- Winning Photos Of The UK Dog Photographer Of The Year 2018
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Speaking American: Some Easy Reading On Cultural Language Differential In The US
- Photographer Emilio Jiménez Shows Through His NSFW Photos The Subtle Beauty Of The Female Body
- This Instagram Account Is So Damn Weird, It’s Addicting
- Gorgeous Female Portrait Photography By Joan Carol