The Bizarre Looking Of Henry VIII’s Horned Helmet, c.1511-1514
One of the most mysterious objects in the Royal Armouries’ collection is the ‘Horned Helmet’, made for Henry VIII. It formed part of a magnificent armor, commissioned in 1511 by the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I as a gift for the young king, who would have worn the armor for court pageants rather than in combat.
Only this helmet now survives. The decoration on the grotesque mask is etched, with life-like facial details even down to the stubble on the chin and crow’s feet around the eyes, and there is a pronounced drip beneath the nose. The mask is complete with a pair of spectacles, which heighten further the strangeness of this helmet. A pair of ram’s horns, beautifully modeled in sheet iron, complete this extraordinary piece and make it so remarkable that it was chosen as the object to represent the Royal Armouries museum in Leeds when it first opened in 1996.
Research into the identification of the source which inspired the mask of the Horned Helmet is continuing, but the copper alloy (possibly originally gilded) spectacles were never fitted with lenses. It is believed that the spectacles form part of the identity of a ‘fool’, a figure commonly found in late 15th- and early 16th-century imagery, suggesting that everyone, however noble or lowly, has elements of foolishness in their character.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook & Telegram:
- Karlmann King – The Most Expensive SUV In The World
- Guy Paints Over Shit Graffiti And Makes It Legible
- Fascinating And Provocative Close-Up Photography By Marius Sperlich
- Outstanding Female Portraits By The Russian Photographer Marat Safin
- Conceptual Photography And Self-Portraits By Marina Choy
- Amazing Photos Awarded By The Sony World Photography Awards 2018
- Into The Wild With Magdalena Wosinska
- The Instagram Account Sharing The Most Beautiful Libraries In The World
- Photographer Khalid Alhammadi Captures Magical Photos Of Abu Dhabi In The Rising Mist
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- The Shortlist For The Coveted Bird Photographer Of The Year 2018 Awards Has Been Announced
- Professional Russian Photographer Pavel Kiselev Captures Sensual NSFW Female Pictures
- Surreal Self-Portrait Photo Manipulations By Annegien Schilling
- Careful What You Ask For Because This Guy Is A Photoshop Troll Master
- Artist Duo Creates Large Installations Based On Phrases