The Bizarre Looking Of Henry VIII’s Horned Helmet, c.1511-1514
One of the most mysterious objects in the Royal Armouries’ collection is the ‘Horned Helmet’, made for Henry VIII. It formed part of a magnificent armor, commissioned in 1511 by the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I as a gift for the young king, who would have worn the armor for court pageants rather than in combat.
Only this helmet now survives. The decoration on the grotesque mask is etched, with life-like facial details even down to the stubble on the chin and crow’s feet around the eyes, and there is a pronounced drip beneath the nose. The mask is complete with a pair of spectacles, which heighten further the strangeness of this helmet. A pair of ram’s horns, beautifully modeled in sheet iron, complete this extraordinary piece and make it so remarkable that it was chosen as the object to represent the Royal Armouries museum in Leeds when it first opened in 1996.
Research into the identification of the source which inspired the mask of the Horned Helmet is continuing, but the copper alloy (possibly originally gilded) spectacles were never fitted with lenses. It is believed that the spectacles form part of the identity of a ‘fool’, a figure commonly found in late 15th- and early 16th-century imagery, suggesting that everyone, however noble or lowly, has elements of foolishness in their character.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook & Telegram:
- “From Russia With Love”: NSFW & Beauty Female Photography By Tatiana Mertsalova
- German Photographer Carsten Thun Captures Provocative Photos Of Dancers In Unlikely Settings
- Artist Grace Gogarty Makes Hilarious Guide To Dog Breeds That Will Help You Choose Your Next Dog
- Japanese Company Releases Line Of ‘Crotch Charms’ For Women To Dangle From Their Swimsuits Between Their Legs
- Sports Illustrated Hails Female Empowerment In NSFW Unedited Photo Shoot
- The Bizarre Looking Of Henry VIII’s Horned Helmet, c.1511-1514
- Ghanaians Have A Lot Of Feelings About This Simple Illustration By Poka Arts
- The Blinged-Out Work Trucks Of Japan Photographed By Todd Antony
- Artist Breaks The Traditional Masculinized Image Of Famous People By Taking Them To Their Pink World
- Spectacular Winning Photos Of The 2017 International Photographer Of The Year Contest
- The Spectacular Winning Photos Of The 2018 Birth Becomes Her Photography Contest
- Retired Ladies Live Their Dreamlife In A Cosy Forest House Designed By A Japanese Architect
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- Architect Couple Turns Cardboard Boxes Into Stackable Cat Fort
- Child Photo Contest 2017 – The Best Pictures Dedicated To Childhood