The Bizarre Looking Of Henry VIII’s Horned Helmet, c.1511-1514
One of the most mysterious objects in the Royal Armouries’ collection is the ‘Horned Helmet’, made for Henry VIII. It formed part of a magnificent armor, commissioned in 1511 by the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I as a gift for the young king, who would have worn the armor for court pageants rather than in combat.
Only this helmet now survives. The decoration on the grotesque mask is etched, with life-like facial details even down to the stubble on the chin and crow’s feet around the eyes, and there is a pronounced drip beneath the nose. The mask is complete with a pair of spectacles, which heighten further the strangeness of this helmet. A pair of ram’s horns, beautifully modeled in sheet iron, complete this extraordinary piece and make it so remarkable that it was chosen as the object to represent the Royal Armouries museum in Leeds when it first opened in 1996.
Research into the identification of the source which inspired the mask of the Horned Helmet is continuing, but the copper alloy (possibly originally gilded) spectacles were never fitted with lenses. It is believed that the spectacles form part of the identity of a ‘fool’, a figure commonly found in late 15th- and early 16th-century imagery, suggesting that everyone, however noble or lowly, has elements of foolishness in their character.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Beautiful Photos Of People’s Choice Award For Wildlife Photographer Of The Year 2021
- German Artist Shows What’s Problematic About Modern Societies In His Illustrations
- Best Photos From 2021 International Wedding Photographer Of The Year Contest
- Artist Creates Colorful Illustrations Of Inviting And Cozy Japanese Houses
- “Pure White”: When Asbestos Was Used As Fake Snow
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- People Are Hilariously Roasting ‘Target’ Fashion Designers By Taking These Pics Wearing Their Dresses
- Funny Comics With Unexpected Endings By Scribbly G
- Cock And Balls: A Photo Study Of Rock Gods’ Packages In Very Tight Trousers
- Photographer Captures Beautiful Sunset Silhouettes To Tell Magical Visual Stories