The Bizarre Looking Of Henry VIII’s Horned Helmet, c.1511-1514
One of the most mysterious objects in the Royal Armouries’ collection is the ‘Horned Helmet’, made for Henry VIII. It formed part of a magnificent armor, commissioned in 1511 by the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I as a gift for the young king, who would have worn the armor for court pageants rather than in combat.
Only this helmet now survives. The decoration on the grotesque mask is etched, with life-like facial details even down to the stubble on the chin and crow’s feet around the eyes, and there is a pronounced drip beneath the nose. The mask is complete with a pair of spectacles, which heighten further the strangeness of this helmet. A pair of ram’s horns, beautifully modeled in sheet iron, complete this extraordinary piece and make it so remarkable that it was chosen as the object to represent the Royal Armouries museum in Leeds when it first opened in 1996.
Research into the identification of the source which inspired the mask of the Horned Helmet is continuing, but the copper alloy (possibly originally gilded) spectacles were never fitted with lenses. It is believed that the spectacles form part of the identity of a ‘fool’, a figure commonly found in late 15th- and early 16th-century imagery, suggesting that everyone, however noble or lowly, has elements of foolishness in their character.
Follow Design You Trust on Facebook & Telegram:
- Gorgeous NSFW Female Portrait Photography by Álvaro Rodríguez Navarro
- Mechanical Engineer Creates Superb 3D Bio-Mechanic Artworks
- The Beauty Of Female Body In Vibrant NSFW Photographs By David Dubnitskiy
- If Movie Posters Told The Truth…
- Gorgeous Photos Make Star Wars Toys Look Like Real, Life-Sized Ships
- “Naked City”: Lost In Shanghai With Photographer Liu Tao
- Summer Vibes With Tattoo Model Torrie Blake
- Conceptual And Fine Art Female Portrait Photography By Maxwell Swift
- The Superb Sensual And NSFW Paintings By Jamie Adams
- Meet World’s Most Versatile Cosplayer: Young Russian Chameleon Ilona Bugaeva
- The Girl with the Octopus Butt Tattoo!
- Haunting Photos Of Moscow’s Young Ravers And Their Lives After Dark
- Artist Scott Listfield Paints Post-Apocalyptic Scenes Of The Bay Area
- Illustrator Pascal Blanché Is Building A Stunning Sci-Fi Universe
- Sensual NSFW Female Nude Photography By Alisa Verner