The Tattooed Venus And The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Betty Broadbent was said to have had 465 tattoos, including the largest known at that time, a Madonna and Child on her back. She was also decorated with images of pilot Charles Lindbergh, patriotic flags and emblems including the American eagle.
In 1937 Fred Harris had a small shop in Sussex Street, Sydney. Sailors provided most of the canvases for Fred’s skin paintings but he also tattooed horses on jockeys, flowers on legs and women with beauty spots. Among the more popular tattoos were Australian flags and Kangaroos for sailors of the visiting American Fleet.
Broadbent was said to have had 465 tattoos, including the largest known at that time, a madonna and child on her back. She was also decorated with images of pilot Charles Lindbergh, patriotic flags and emblems including the American eagle. Visiting Australia in early 1938 for the Royal Agricultural Show, Broadbent – also called the ‘Tattooed Venus’ – told The Daily Telegraph that she didn’t realise at first that tattooing was permanent. A circus performer, she turned to tattooing to make a living in the winter “when I finished as a rodeo rider in the circus season”.
Betty Broadbent, the ‘Tattooed Venus’, Sydney, 4 April, 1938, photographer Ray Olsen:
Leave Your Comment Below:
More Inspiring Stories:
- Zero Fucks Coins Allow You To Literally Give Zero Fucks
- This Artist’s Paintings Are So Realistic, You’ll Probably Think They Are Photos
- Fascinating Photos That Capture Everyday Of Oahu Beaches, Hawaii In The Early 1970s
- Japan’s First Female Photojournalist Is Still Shooting At The Age Of 101
- The Lost Corvettes: 36 Chevrolet Corvettes From NYC Barn Find To Be Raffled In Charity Sweepstakes
- 19-Year-Old Student Hides Spy Camera In His Clothing To Take Secret Street Photos In The 1890s
- Welcome To Burj Al Babas, The Luxury City Of Empty Castles
- Before And After: How The Russian Army Changes Soldiers
- Russian Illustrator Recreates All Episodes Of The Mandalorian As Vintage Comic Book Covers
- Moody Animal Puns That Will Remind You That It’s OK To Be Sad