The Tattooed Venus And The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Betty Broadbent was said to have had 465 tattoos, including the largest known at that time, a Madonna and Child on her back. She was also decorated with images of pilot Charles Lindbergh, patriotic flags and emblems including the American eagle.
In 1937 Fred Harris had a small shop in Sussex Street, Sydney. Sailors provided most of the canvases for Fred’s skin paintings but he also tattooed horses on jockeys, flowers on legs and women with beauty spots. Among the more popular tattoos were Australian flags and Kangaroos for sailors of the visiting American Fleet.
Broadbent was said to have had 465 tattoos, including the largest known at that time, a madonna and child on her back. She was also decorated with images of pilot Charles Lindbergh, patriotic flags and emblems including the American eagle. Visiting Australia in early 1938 for the Royal Agricultural Show, Broadbent – also called the ‘Tattooed Venus’ – told The Daily Telegraph that she didn’t realise at first that tattooing was permanent. A circus performer, she turned to tattooing to make a living in the winter “when I finished as a rodeo rider in the circus season”.
Betty Broadbent, the ‘Tattooed Venus’, Sydney, 4 April, 1938, photographer Ray Olsen:
Leave Your Comment Below:
More Inspiring Stories:
- Stunning Photos Of Chinese ‘Nail Houses’ That Defy Developers
- Misspelled Tattoos: Permanent And Hilarious
- Intimate Photos Of Sharon Tate Gives Her Husband Roman Polanski A Haircut In 1968
- French Photographer Visited Chernobyl, And The Captivating Photos Show Just How Suddenly Time Stopped In Its Tracks After The Disaster
- Meet Maria Oz – The Girl With Amazingly Big Eyes
- Baby Car Seats From the Mid-20th Century Moms Wouldn’t Buy Today
- Shocking Before and After Composite Portraits of Drug Abuse
- Photographer Exposes The Truth Behind His ‘Perfect’ Photos
- Burning Man 2019 Mega-Post: Fantastic Photos From The World’s Biggest And Craziest Festival
- 40 Funniest Finalists For Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards 2019