Enormous Vulva Sculpture in Brazil Sparks Conservative Outrage
The prize for 2021’s most controversial public sculpture might have already been claimed by a newly installed 33m-high concrete crimson vulva in Brazil, which has sparked fierce online debate.
Recessed onto a hillside within a sculpture park in the northeastern state of Pernambuco, Diva, by the Brazilian artist Juliana Notari, intends to question the “problematisation of gender” and change perspectives on human relationships that create an “unequal and catastrophic world”, Notari states in a Facebook post.
She adds that these issues are “increasingly urgent”, referring to the country’s political climate under the leadership of President Jair Bolsonaro. Last week, following Argentina’s decision to legalise abortion, Bolsonaro expressed sympathies via Twitter for the lives of Argentine children “now subject to being cut in their mothers’ wombs with state consent” and vowed to never approve abortion in Brazil.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Amazing Behind the Scenes Photos of Arnold Schwarzenegger as the Terminator, 1984
- These Smart And Hilarious Illustrations Take The Most Unexpected Turns
- Powerful Illustrations By Japanese Artist That Will Make You Think
- This Artist Creates Comics Full Of Puns And Funny Twists
- Spectacular Winning Photos Of Minimalist Photography Awards 2021
- Photographer Daniel Sachon Imagines What Marilyn Monroe Would Be Like Today
- Candid Photographs Captured Prostitution Scenes in Paris in 1966
- These Women Let Hairdresser Kristina Katsabina Cut Their Long Hair And Did Not Regret It
- Dreamy Photographs Of Young Women Taken By David Hamilton From The 1970s
- Beautiful Photographs By Brock Elbank In Tribute To Freckles