12 Year Old Girl Invents An Adorable Teddy Bear That Hides IV Bags Making Infusions Less Scary To Children
Ella Casano, a 12 year old girl who has been receiving intravenous (IV) infusions for ITP since the age of seven, came up with the really brilliant idea that would make the experience less scary for other kids, the Medi Teddy. This clever invention is an adorable teddy bear that offers a friendly face to a child while hiding an IV bag in a mesh pouch in the bear’s back. Ella based the Medi Teddy on her own experience.
“The cool thing about Medi Teddy is that it belongs to the child and they can bring it to all of their infusions. It’s not thrown away or passed on to someone else. You can give it a name (mine is Bailey) and it will be your buddy during the long days at the hospital!”
Like a special blankie, pillowcase, or stuffed animal brought from home, Medi Teddy is not a sterile item.
Neither is an IV bag or IV tubing in most infusion settings; doctors, nurses, and even parents touch the outside of IVs bags and tubing all the time. Sometimes we do this to help a child move from wheelchair to bed, use the toilet, change IV poles, or simply to organize cords, wires, and tubing.
Medi Teddy does not touch medication, simply the outside of the bag of IV fluids.
Medi Teddy works best if you slip the IV bag or medication into the pouch with the port exiting the bottom and then spike the bag in the usual way. Hang Medi Teddy on the pole with the bag of fluid or medication. Medi Teddy does not hold the weight of an IV bag.
Leave Your Comment Below
More Inspiring Stories
- Here’s How Some of Rock and Roll Legends Would Look Like Today If They Weren’t Dead
- “The World In Faces”: Photographer’s Incredible Portraits Of People Who Live In Some Of The Most Remote Corners Of The Earth
- Artist Shows How Cartoon Characters Would Look In Real Life, And The Result Is Scary And Disturbing
- Sophie Prestigiacomo’s ‘Homo Algus’ Invites Swamp Creatures Out Of The Wild
- Zombies Descend On Hamburg To Protest Against Two-Day Meeting Of ‘Political Elite’
- Sleeping With The Devil: A Weird And Wonderful Collection Of Medieval Bedroom Hijinks With Creatures From Hell
- Artist Draws Wholesome Watercolor Comics Where A Cat Is Giving Out Mental Health Advice
- A Group Of Czech Students Recreate Weird And Strange Scenes From Medieval Books
- This Is What Happens When You Peel Off 30 Years Of Graffiti
- Artist Portrays Mystical Creatures In Their Vulnerable Form – When They Were Still Babies